Monday, March 16, 2009

"A good laugh is sunshine in the house"

This weekend was Club Fly, which is the Fly's biggest party of the year. I wore a sequined miniskirt and danced til 3 in the morning- working hard, playing smart... don't worry, dad.
Sunday was gorgeous here, I met a friend from Boston College at Stephanie's on Newbury for brunch. Her name is Jess, I met her at a Georgetown transfer information session freshman year and we decided that if we both transferred, we would be roommates. I decided to come to Harvard and she to stay at BC, and we catch up over a meal in Boston once every couple of months. It's sometimes such a relief to talk to someone a lot like you you feel you can talk to who isn't part of your immediate circle-a close friend you just don't talk to that often. Brunch was long, and we walked to Boston Common afterwards and sat on the grass, which was just starting to warm up, in the sun.
I'm working on my application for the Columbia Publishing Course http://www.journalism.columbia.edu/cs/ContentServer/jrn/1175372207611/page/1165270091617/simplepage.htm and finally decided what I want my personal statement to be (the prompt is the ubiqitous "tell us something about yourself that doesn't appear on your tanscript or resume") I'm taking a photo of myself with my diary, writing at the top that I've written in a diary almost every day for the past ten years, and putting in clips of some of the more insightful things I've written in my diary in the past few years, with dates after each quote.
I can't believe I'm going to Paris in four days. This is going to be a real adventure, with no need for any excitment to be chased or manufactured. I can't wait just to soak it up...
And currently reading "Vanity Fair," by William Thackeray- the book that spawned the magazine title. A favorite quote so far-- "The world is a looking-glass, and gives back to every man the reflection of his own face. Frown at it, and it will in turn look sourly upon you; laugh at it and with it, and it is a jolly kind companion; and so let all young persons take their choice."

No comments:

Post a Comment