Friday, March 13, 2009

haircuts, coats, wars

Last night was senior bar, the quite genius creation of some senior class council long ago. The senior class council plans a night once a week during senior spring where all seniors are invited to go to a bar in Cambridge and hang out together. Deceptively simple sounding, but at Harvard, where the closest thing we have to communal space is the undergraduate library (seriously, people go to Lamont sometimes just to have social hour and human contact outside of their blockmates) senior bar feels totally unique because you get to see people from your classes, people you see going out, people from activities, etc. all hanging out together, which never happens in any other setting.
So last night it was at Grafton Street, which is a nice restaurant/bar that Bevin, Walter, the boys and I went to last time they were in Cambridge. I went to the Spee and the Pheonix and then headed home.
This morning I picked up my coat from the tailor, finally! Mom had sent me some old mink fur, and I got the tailor to cut it in strips and put it on my classic winter coat- it looks a little like a Russian princess coat now with the sleeves, but I like it, especially with more casual clothes, like the jeans, t-shirt and Converse I'm wearing today.














I went to this great, nice hair salon that has 25 dollar cuts for students and got maybe the best haircut I've ever had (no dramatic changes, just the most meticulous thinning, feathering and bang trim) went to science to turn in a problem set and stayed for the lecture on eating disorders, which was actually interesting and also what I'm writing my paper for the class on.
I had lunch with Kwelina (my best friend and Paris compatriot) in Lowell dining hall.
I'm headed to the Institute of Politics in a few minutes with my friend Jeff for a talk with Mark Penn, who was the chief strategist for Hillary Clinton's campaign, Bill's campaign, Microsoft and Tony Blair. He invented the concept of microtrend polling, and while brilliant, is supposed to be a total jerk- as in infamously jerky. I'm curious to see how he'll treat a group of college students, and somewhat to see why he came, as people don't get paid to come do this sort of thing at the IOP and it's not like his firm needs to be recruiting people or he needs people to like him.
Afterwards, Kwelina, Ali and I are headed in to Boston for a little while to do a little reading. I am in Niall Furgeson's economic history seminar, and every week, someone volunteers to summarize one of four readings. I volunteered to summarize one of Professor Furgeson's books (http://www.amazon.com/Pity-War-Explaining-World-I/dp/0465057128) so I'm going to get started reading that at Beacon Hill Bistro, a favorite lazy afternoon tea haunt for us... http://beaconhillhotel.com/bistro/
Hope everyone is having a good Friday! xx, E

No comments:

Post a Comment